Top 5 Repairs I Look For In An Inspection
So the inspection has been done and you are overwhelmed by the report, what repairs are of concern and which are not? Here are my top 5 repairs I look for when going over an inspection.
Let’s start by acknowledging that no home is perfect and no inspection comes back perfect either. Also there are more than five items of concern however these are my top five in no particular priority.
- Roof - This is a non-negotiable item because it is just that important. A roof is so important that an insurance company will inspect even after you purchase the home. If they determine repairs are needed or even replacement they will not cover it and ask that you make the repairs with in a certain period of time. What happens if you don’t? They will drop your coverage, which remember you lender expects you to have insurance. Can you see why this is a non-negotiable?
- Foundation - North Texas is covered with clay just underneath the dirt and when that gets to dry it can cause problems with your foundation. Foundation problems can be small & inexpensive or they can be overwhelmingly expensive. Not only will a damaged foundation be an issue but dry wall damage, structure and even plumbing issues within the slab.
- Plumbing - Plumbing is a necessary function of the home and without it the house is more like a nice shed. Also this has to be repaired by someone who knows what they are doing which is why a licensed professional is needed.
- Electrical - This is the same as plumbing, you don’t want to have the seller do these repairs themselves it is best to leave it to a professional.
- HVAC - Remember this is North Texas which means our summers are hot and long, a little AC helps. Making sure this is in good working condition is key to having a good home ownership experience so start off by having a system working in great working condition.
So those are my top five but by no means are they all I look for. Just know having a Realtor® by your side is key who is used to seeing these issues and willing to negotiate for you.
With a heart of a teacher I look to educate my clients about the process of buying, selling or renting real estate. I strongly feel an informed and educated consumer will make better decisions and be less likely to be taken advantage of.
Have questions about this or other topics, don not hesitate to contact me.
Don’t forget to “LIKE” this video and be sure to Subscribe to my YouTube Channel as well.
Luis Cuevas, Realtor®
RE/MAX Cross Country
1990 Justin Road
Highland Village, Texas 75077
Check out my website for more helpful tips:
Subscribe to my YouTube Channel:
Follow me on Facebook: